Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Mothers instincts!

When A was born(2004), along with the super-duper happy feeling, there was also a feeling of uncertainty of "Am I doing the things correctly? ".
Is the room temperature ok?
is he sweating?
Should I bathe him today in this cold weather?
Is the bottle nipple the right size??
I hope I am not hurting his neck if I carry him this way....
and so on and so forth...
the list goes on....
I used to call my mom quite often with these questions and most of the times she had the answer and at the end of it she said , "YOU will KNOW the right thing to do...if YOU feel its safe..its ok..thats the mothers instinct".
Most of the times I thought that its the "old school of thought". Offcourse, the doctor and the internet(you can find almost everything on the net these days) gives you the most scientific answers! A is almost 3 now...and the last 3 years have changed my outlook quite a bit. I have started believing strongly in my mothers words..there is a thing called MOTHERS INSTINCT!

Last week A got hurt in the creche..a heavy thing fell on his finger and he got a bruise. The creche people called me and informed me about the incident, but they also added that he was playing now normally with just a black mark and a bit of a swell...not much. I went to pick him up and he started crying. Indeed the thumb had a swell...a blue bruise...nothing spectacular. I came home and started observing that he was not using that finger at all...he was playing..happy..but not using the thumb. A+ said that its a simple bruise (like most fathers say) and I should stop worrying about it UNNECESSARILY! Upon my insisting that we take him to the emergency I was also informed that MOTHERS dont allow the son to grow up, etc etc!
But something was just not correct....and finally the practical father gave in to the over-reacting mother...
A was x-rayed and his thumb was found to be broken..............
Poor thing is in plaster now till the elbow.....

The practical A+ admitted that mothers just FEEL the thing....
We all call it MOTHERS INSTINCT.....it EXISTS...believe me.
SO, if you are a mother , your instinct will always show you the right way.......follow it..it never goes wrong.

cheers!
DR

13 comments:

Kay said...

I totally agree. A mom knows... (I'm a newmom of an 8mo, I'm talking about my mom and her instincts on me!!)

I'm so glad you trusted your instincts and got him to the ER. Poor kiddo's finger must have hurt like hell. Ouch!

Moppet's Mom said...

Awww, the poor, poor baby! I'm still a bit unsure about my 'maternal instinct' - I worry that I might be overdoing it at times - but in your case, I'm so glad you went with your instincts!

SJ said...

I hope A isn't hurting too badly! Good job on following your instinct! I know what you mean, sometimes I just know "somthing does not feel right with the kiddo", so glad the fracture was caught early.

Asha said...

Great insight and instinct indeed.Dads are always most practical than instinctive.They do care though.
Good that you stuck your guns and got it sorted out.He will be alright.Trisha fell in the Grocery store and had a hairline fracture when she was 3yrs old.
Trust your motherly instinct,your mom is right,you just feel it!:))
Take care and hugs to your little one.

Sandeepa(Bong Mom's CookBook/DesiMomzClub) said...

Awwwwww hope A is doing ok with the plaster. I am so happy that your instincts worked.
But I am a "super worry" mom or was until last year and would worry about every teen weeny things. Thankfully the two years of worrying has mellowed me down so much that now I have reduced my worrying.

Archana said...

Hi Dr!

So True! My son fell off our bed when he was 8 months old and trusting my instinct we went to the ER the next morning because he was not being his "normal" self and so glad we did! He had a skull fracture and a small bleed he was monitored for 24 hrs in the PICU. I tend to over worry a lot and the nurses at my Pead's office know me by name but I figure my babies are worth it and I may mellow out sooner than later but for now my instinct has paid off more than once!

By the way, my son recovered beautifully and all is well! Good luck to your little A. I am sure he will be fine too!

Archana

Sogno said...

I hope A feels better soon!! I can totally identify with you. I guess E is almost the same age as A as he was born in Oct 2004, too. And as he had grown up, I have found myself getting more and more confident and most of the times just knowing things that he may need or things that are happening. It is an empowering feeling and I just hope that it keeps getting stronger!

Three cheers for Mother's Instincts!!!

indosungod said...

Hope A gets better soon. Kids heal fast is what I am told. Our instincts almost always tell us to do the right thing but we ignore it and get in trouble. Glad that you stuck with it.

ramya said...

yha surely we all have those instincts.and i think fathers too have but they doesn't admit it.

DR said...

Thanks a lot..for all your support.
A is doing better...yesterdays xray showed that the hair frac has almost healed..
good that baby bones heal so fast...

cheers,
DR

Roopa said...

oh dear hope A is doing ok. i know how it is!. i just went though when my son fell from his tricycle and got his elbow fractured. With sleepless night next morning ended up at the emergency only to know he has a fracture. the instinct within tells you something is really wrong when the little one is just stuck to you and only expresses when you are around. ACtually dads also feel but put on a brave face to assure nothing is wrong!

swapna susarla said...

ohhhhhh poor little boy.How he can play just normal with the thumb broken????????i was stunned at the line (thumb is broken)really!!!!!
Hope he is fine now.Take care of him.

I agree with u in MOTHER'S INSTINCT.
when my daughter was about 2 years she got high fever because of urinal infection.My hubby was like "no its ok .nothing to worry"but my inner heart is telling me that something was wrong.at last we confirmed it and of course taken a good care of her.today she is free from that infection.

asfaqbid said...

Nice article, I like it very much, 100% what i am searching for. Keep it up. Also found some important Bollywood News