Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunscreen Recommendations anyone?

Hi Moms,

I know all the virtues of sunscreen and hurray summer is here full blast! Last year I went with Neutrogena SPF 45 for my daughter, but just last week for some reason I applied some on myself. It felt sticky and hot and unpleasant on my skin. (and yes, I did check the expiry date)And my sunscreen applied fingers happened to touch my eyes for a second and my eyes burned and burned. I am sure a 2 yr old will touch her eyes, etc while playing.

Now is this just the way all suncreens are? Any recommendation from all you other moms about which brand I should use? I have seen Coppertone. BananaBoat, Neutrogena, Aveeno, and a many other brands in the stores. Is any one brand better than others? Other than SPF is there anything I should check in a suncreen before buying?

(This post is by SJ of A Pinch of Spice. )

8 comments:

Sandeepa(Bong Mom's CookBook/DesiMomzClub) said...

Just now I bought a Baby Aveeno. Last year I used something (maybe Coppertone) but that used to give S rashes sometimes
Since her ped had recommended Baby Aveeno for her as her moisturizer because she has a little sensitive skin, I decided to go back to Aveeno Suncreen for her this year

Tharini said...

I bought Baby Aveeno too and use it on myself as well. Its great. It was SPF 55.

Moppet's Mom said...

Banana Boat is quite good too. And it's water resistant as well. Ideal for swimming.

Asha said...

I used Banana Boat Spf 15 once.I don't bother with the sun screen much as we don't sun bathe.A light sun screen when we are out and about in the Sun would suffice.Just my experience.
You have to re apply every time when they come out of the pool even if it is water proof.

trupti said...

Both Aveeno and Banana Boat are good brands, I prefer Coppertone Kids "Spray and Play" spray because it has an SPF-30,is waterproof and is also protective against UVA-UVB rays.....and of course, if going in the sun longterm...sunglasses and hats are a must.
Getting the sunscreen for Sensitive Skin is also an option if you experience any discomfort.

trupti

Archana said...

Hi I love the mustela brand of sunblock for my babies/now toddlers. Its completely mineral based Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide with no harsh chemicals that burn or sting. http://www.mustelausa.com/sun_lotion_50.html

Even if you cannot find Mustela in your drugstore (which i have found usually only in specialty baby shops) look for sunblock with Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide as it is mineral based and a skin blocker rather than chemicals that penetrate the skin.

Thats what our pediatrician recommended and it works really well! Hope it helps.
Archana
http://www.mustelausa.com/sun_lotion_50.html

SJ said...

Thanks - all of you for the tips. I'll try baby Aveeno or the Mustela and see if it feels any better.

Reena said...

there was another topic on this last month. do check that too for more recommendations.:)

i use aveeno baby sunblock lotion for my 3 yr old and i love it. it has spf 55,fragrance-free and waterproof. it is very good for her sensitive skin. i also aveeno moisturiser for the little one.

is "other" option in comments disabled here now?

http://spicesofkerala.wordpress.com/