Sunday, June 3, 2007

Birthday planning...

[This post is written by Tharini of Winkie's Way.]

We are about 2 weeks away from Akhil's 4th birthday. And it didn't require much of thinking on our parts on how to celebrate it. He was having a grand time at his classes in My Gym, and that's where he would have his friends over to help him commemorate the occasion. We decided to call all his friends from school, and some of our personal friends with kids. I think that would total about 18-20 kids in all. The date of the party is June 16th, just the day after his actual birthday. So once the venue was decided and booked, we turned our attention to the rest of the stuff.

Starting with the invitations. I thought it would be a neat craft idea for Winkie to do all the invites himself. It would give him some involvement in planning for the occasion and we could constructively spend some time together. We started off in good earnest. I wanted to make hand painted invites (like what you see in the picture) for all his young friends. We made about 7 in the course of 2 days. I drew a rough outline in pencil and he painted inside it. After the 7, he bailed out on me and refused to do anymore. That's a boy's attention span for you!!!

So to make it complete, I added little inserts on the inside of the card as to place, time, agenda etc. Phew!! It took up quite a bit of time to do manually. After that I took stock of things again and decided I cudn't quite repeat this for another 13 more invites and decided to scan his best work in, and email it to the rest to my friends. Good choice! I was done inviting within the next 24 hours.

Now the next thing to decide on is the cake....but we already know what we want and who is going to make it, so not much work there either. Rajesh has been charged with the task of buying for the goody bags. Now I have to think about how to celebrate the occasion in school on the 15th. Last year I did pizza and cupcakes and that was that. This time, we already have pizza on the 16th, with proper cake. Should I do a repeat one on the 15th? No clear thoughts on this yet. I would welcome your suggestions. As far as I know, all the kids are coming for the party.

Also, since it is mainly a kiddy party, the kids will have pizza and juice. What about the adults then? We were thinking to order extra pizza for them. I don't think it would be feasible to get any other type of refreshment there, as in any typical Indian snacks.

I would love to have some of your ideas on this. Please help me out if any ideas come your way. Thanks!

12 comments:

Sandeepa(Bong Mom's CookBook/DesiMomzClub) said...

Tharini, today morning I was thinking of sending you a mail since I knew Winkie's B'day is week away and you would be planning one great party. I was about to ask you to share with us your party planning tips and tricks
And now I see this...funny.
Thanks for this :) Shall read the post in details and share my thoughts tomorrow

Tharini said...

Oh wow, Sandeepa. You make me sound so incredibly resourceful. ;) Thanks for the implicit vote of confidence....

Asha said...

Happy b'day to your little one Tharini,he is growing up now.Watch out!;D
OMG!! That is a whole bunch of kids.Usually, for 4 yr old's b'day ,not more than 6 kids are invited.But if you can handle it with others help,I guess it's okay.Enjoy:)
If you are inviting the all the kids on the 16th ,I don't think you have to provide food again on the 15th in the class.That would be a overload and the kids would lose interest on the party day.Goodies sounds great kids.For adults,Pizza and punch would be good.
You have got a good grip on everything already.Good for you.Enjoy and let us know how it went.Hugs.

Sandeepa(Bong Mom's CookBook/DesiMomzClub) said...

Usually when there is a party at My Gym or Gymboree, other refreshments are not allowed right ? At least for the B'Day parties I went to in these places there was very little food choice for adults. I think most parents know this so there isn't much you can do.

For your close friends you can bring them back home to serve some other food if you want and if the party is scheduled to end early.

You have the rest pretty much in control I think. Like Asha says if all the kids at school are anyway coming to the party you need not repeat at school.

Or can you cut a small B'day cake at school since 15th is his actual B'day.

The goody bags is the part I love most, I go crazy planning what to put what in each and with diff sizes of kids in my friends group I start a month back :)

Kodi's Mom said...

I can't help with other questions -I'd be faced with a similar dilemma in your situation! but the goody bags - ooh that I love..I saw some totally cool stuff at Target's $1 bin section. recommended it for the 15th event, not sure if that was taken. there were trucks/cars/airplanes - and also some sand toys, which would go well for 0-5 age grp. so if Rajesh is looking for ideas, he may want to check that out.

Tharini said...

Thanks Kodi's mom. You won't believe this...but I picked up the very same planes and cars for some of theboys...but Rajesh rejected them saying they looked a little under-quality, and wanted to pick out something else. So I delegated it to him!

MahaVishnu said...

Happy Birthday to Winkie.
I have one suggestion for goody bags - why not give the party goers Barnes & Noble's gift cards instead of the typical gift bags that have stuff nobody seems to play with anyway? This is what we do for our son every year. We actually used to buy books that my son enjoyed until he was four -but after that the reading levels/interests were so varied, it was easier to do a gift card - we usually get each worth $5.00. And ypu can choose the cards in various themes (Dr.Seuss, HarryPotter, etc.)

Tharini said...

Hi Asha : Yeah I know...arnd 20 kids sounds daunting, but the ones above 3 are just arnd 7-8, and the rest are younger kids, whose parents will have to be on the gym floor with them. Plus the staff there take care of entertaining them completely. So it shud be ok.

Thanks Sandeepa. Those were good suggestions.

Mahavishnu : That's a lovely idea. Will look into that.

Kodi's Mom said...

there were also some near the toys section - summer themed ones like boats, sand trucks btn $2-$4. they did look a lot more sturdy.

Praba said...

Hi all -

Sorry couldn't write in a long time. Moved to NoVA late last month, and we're settling in slowly and pretty smoothly at a temporary place before moving into our own house on July 2nd.

Will try to do a post sometime this month - but definitely in July - I should have everything set - now I've just limited time and access to the internet/computer. Hope that's ok.

T - good luck with the birthday party. Very excited for you and Akhil!

As for the food suggestions, we always do a seasonal fruit/cheese platter (approx 30dollars) that serves 15-20 people that we buy from the grocery store - like Wild Oats where we used to live. You've to order them in advance, and they do a pretty good job in selecting fresh fruit and varied selection of cheese and crackers that come with that. Check in the deli section of whole foods/any other grocery or some place.


as for goodie bag idea - I will get back if I can think of any. I was thinking of 1 dollar jump rope each or stuff like that - fitness related since you have a gym party. They might do goodie bags too - you might want to check because we once went to a gym party and K got all these jump rope and some other thingies..

anyways - good luck and will write later.

sunita said...

Talking of birthdays, I've got both my kids b'days in August, that too a week apart. Since it always falls during their summer holidays,on the last day of their term,I send some sweets that they can share with their class.

When they were in the nursery(3-4 yrs), I made some cupcakes for the whole class, and wrapped them individually along with an assortment of sweeties and some small toys. We did not have a big party for them at that stage.Just a few kids and a couple of our friends for lunch at home.Last year we had a combined party for the both of them as Rengoni wanted quite a few of her friends to come over but Agastya did not have that many. But this year, both their friend circles have increased and that means no combined party.

As for the hand made cards,both of them did it last year and they came out really nice.Of course the attention bit needs to be worked on.As for the goody bags, we ordered them online...both the sets of girls and boys gifts were really cool. The best bit is that it does save a lot of time.

Good luck with your party...I bet Winkie and friends will have a smashing time...

Shivapriya said...

Tharini
I wrote few tips in my column, check out.