Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Growing up Indian and American

(Posted by Sogno of My Taki)
Hello all,
First of all, I would like to share with all of you the news that I am pregnant, again! 7 weeks, today!! We are very excited.
I read a very interesting post and the ensuing discussion about growing up Indian kids the American way. We came back to India after living in the US for 10 years (and loving every day of it) just this year and my son, E who is now 2 & 1/2 yrs old was born there. I was very happy and impressed with the education system that I came across there and I did spend some time trying to understand it even though my baby was too young at that time.
After coming here, I am nervous that he will not be exposed to that kind of learning environment but instead the Indian system that we are too familiar with. I have been trying to get as much information as possible about the Indian system too for it has changed tremendously since we were last in school!! And in a lot of positive ways,too.
I am just wondering if there is anybody who is in a similar situation like we are and would love to hear about things that you all are doing. We are very happy with our decision to come back to India and i just want to make sure I can give my kids the best of both worlds!

7 comments:

Sandeepa said...

Congrats !!!!!! Thats really very good news :)

Shivapriya said...

Congrats!!!
Couple of my friends returned to Indian after 6 and 8 yrs they both have kids one of my friend is due in aug with her 2nd one and she tells me that the education system is really good and change a lot in recent day compared to our time and both of them are happy with their decisions. BTW one lives in HYD and other on in Banglore.

Asha said...

Congratulations!! Enjoy India and the pregnancy.Take care:))
I am not familiar with the latest education system in India.I have a nephew who goes to High school there,I don't see much change though at least in his school.

Poppins said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy ! It would help if you told us which city you are in because the information about schools could be more specific then.

From your description of your expectations, I think International/Alternative Schools provide that experience.

Also there are plenty of schools doing new things and focussing on all round development. They are still largely academic oriented however.(which is not necessarily a bad thing, considering how important education is to us Indians)

Sogno said...

@ Shivapriya
Thanks for your comments...can i get in touch with your friends in hyd and/or b'lore..we are in hyd for a year and it will be nice to talk to someone here.

Sogno said...

@ Poppins
We are in Hyderabad for a year aas my husband is doing his MBA at ISB.

Moppet's Mom said...

Congratulations!

I haven't been to Hyd in almost 3 years, but I'm sure you will be able to find a good pre-school for your son. There might be a problem with the commute though, because I'm guessing the nearest place of the sort that you're looking for will be in Banjara Hills or Jubilee Hills. It's a bit of a ride from ISB.