Thursday, June 14, 2007

Kids Craft: Bookmarks




This is a nice little project for 4-6 year olds who can either copy a pattern or come up with their own whimsical ones. The nice thing about this project is that it is small, it is useful and can be done during birthday parties and given away as party favors. And, probably can work as an incentive to read books :-)

Ana is too little to color "properly" with her crayons and markers, let alone color within boundaries and draw designs. But, I remember doing a few craft projects with my cousins when I was baby sitting them and wanted to try it with Ana anyway...

I used card stock paper, had Ana scribble with her crayons, and cut out bookmark shapes around it to incorporate her work. Then, of course, I had to finish it myself as my 2-yr old simply does not have the skills in place to do it herself.

Any thick paper would do. Perhaps start the kids off with some pattern that you draw and have them color whimsically... this is a very simple project, nothing much to it, really... feels silly posting it here as a craft project, but, I've posted this on my blog, and, just thought I'd share it here as well.

Cheers!

5 comments:

Asha said...

Beautiful art work.Thay have done a great job Sheela.Encourage the talent and enjoy!:))

Kodi's Mom said...

this is truly beautiful. and useful too!
which parts did your daughter color? - it all seems so well done :)

I try to do some coloring crafts with my son - but he doesn't care for it. He just doodles...that's fine too - except I don't know yet what crafts to make out of doodling!

Tharini said...

Wow...that's really awesome. I loooove the idea. Pretty easy to do and yeah...great for reading motivation. Can't wait totry it.

Sandeepa said...

Beautiful art work. I think Ana did a great job for a 2 year old. Thanks for sharing and I will try it soon with my little one too

Sheela said...

thanks, all, just to clarify: ana just chicken-scratched with blue crayon at the bottom of the middle one, green crayon that ended up at the bottom of the left one, and one half of the right one... and I had to work around and on top of it and get the project in some finished form...

as you all know, 2 yr olds simply cannot focus and get this whole coloring thing done right :-) the inspiration here was for me to get her started, sometimes she lets me hold her hand and guide her hand for the coloring... she holds her color marker, and makes me hold her hand to draw a kitty or circle...

just didn't want to leave the impression here that Ana did all the work, or even most of the work - she simply did her own thing that I felt inspired to make into a craft project and share here.