Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A fwd that made me think

I dont know if any one of you have recieved this forwarded email. When ever I recieve any fwds I research a little to know if the news is fake or real. Learnt it from my hubby. I would first want you all to read it and then tell me what went on, in your heads.



"> >>>PLEASE READ THIS !!DO NOT IGNORE!! YOUR CHILD COULD DIE FROM THIS!
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>McDonalds, Chuck E Cheese, Discovery Zone... All places with ball
> pits
> >>>in the children's play area.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> 1. One of my sons lost his watch, and was very upset. We dug and
> dug
> >>>in those balls, trying to find his watch. Instead, we found vomit,
> >>>food, faeces, and other stuff I do not want to discuss.
> >>>
> >>>I went to the manager and raised hell. Come to find out, the ball
> pit
> >>>is only cleaned out once a month. I have doubts that it is even done
> >>>that often.
> >>>
> >>>My kids will never play in another ball pit.
> >>>
> >>> 2. Some of you might not be parents, but you may have nieces,
> nephews,
> >>>grandchildren, or friends with children. This will pertain to you
> too.
> >>>As I read the following, my heart sank. I urge each and every one of
> >>>you to pass this on to as many people as you can. I cannot stress
> how
> >>>important this is!
> >>>Hi. My name is Lauren Archer, my son Kevin and I lived in
> Midland,TN.
> >>>On October 2nd, 1999 I took my only son to McDonald's for his 3rd
> >>>birthday.
> >>>
> >>>After he finished lunch, I allowed him to play in the ball pit. When
> he
> >>>started whining later on, I asked him what was wrong, he pointed to
> the
> >>>back of his pull-up and simply said "Mommy, it hurts." I couldn't
> find
> >>>anything wrong with him at that time. I bathed him when we got home,
> >>>and it was at that point when I found a welt on his left buttock.
> Upon
> >>>investigating, it seemed as if there was something like a splinter
> >>>under the welt. I made an appointment to see the doctor the next
> day,
> >>>but soon he started vomiting and shaking, then his eyes rolled back
> >>>into his head. From there, we went to the emergency room. He died
> later
> >>>that night.
> >>>
> >>>It turned out that the welt on his buttock was the tip of a
> hypodermic
> >>>needle that had broken off inside.
> >>>
> >>>The autopsy revealed that Kevin had died from a heroine overdose.
> >>>The next week, the police removed the balls from the ball pit. There
> >>>was rotten food, several hypodermic needles: some full, some used;
> >>>knives, half-eaten candy, diapers, feces, and the stench of urine.
> >>>
> >>> (You can find the article on Kevin Archer in the October 10,1999
> issue
> >>>of the Midland Chronicle.)
> >>>
> >>>3. Don't think it's just McDonald's either. A little boy had been
> >>>playing in a ball pit @ a Burger King & started complaining of his
> legs
> >>>hurting.
> >>>He later died too. He was found to have snake bites all over his
> legs &
> >>>buttocks.
> >>>When they cleaned the ball pit they found that there was a
> copperhead's
> >>>nest in the ball pit. He had suffered numerous bites from a very
> >>>poisonous snake.
> >>>
> >>>Repost this if it scares the crap out of you!!
> >>>Repost this if you care about kids!!
> >>>Please forward this to all loving mothers, fathers and anyone who
> loves
> >>>and cares for children!!
> >>>What has this world come to?? If a child is not safe in a child's
> play
> >>>area then where??
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>"

When I researched on google about this incident, lot of reports said that it is all made up story and there is no such news paper( the news paper with that name does not exist), such people never existed and such incidents never happened.
But what made me think was why do people have to make up all this? It also made me think do I have to keep my kid away from the Ball pits. What if they were not cleaned regularly? what if someone was really affected in one of those ways.
All these thoughts really freaked me up.

In one of the articles, which said these news were fake, they mentioned that the parents should be careful while letting their kids in there. Parents should check if every thing was safe. Is it only the Parents duty? Does anyone know how difficult it is to get in to the ball pit for an adult. It sounds funny but I had a real tough time once to bring my Son out of it when he did not know how to come out.
I am looking forward for all your views.

10 comments:

Asha said...

That sounded horrible as I read that at first and at the end you said it was fake!!Phew!! Thanks God for that.I think somebody is jealous of McD!!:D
I don't think in this day and age of sueing everybody and for everything,they keep the playground so dirty.They don't want close the store and go home.
But I don't like to go there though because some toilets are so close to the tables,I feel like running away.Unless,we are really hungry and there are no options,we avoid the fast food as much as possible.
Thanks for posting this Sharmi,it is something to watch out for:)

Kodi's Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kodi's Mom said...

Sharmi, when I get these kind of forwards (which I think are written for sensationalism), I check with snopes.com.

Thankfully, both the incidents in this email are false. But the possibility may be real and parents do have to use common sense precaution everywhere.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/ballpit.asp

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/archer.asp

Saheli said...

Thank heavens I read the whole post. I was so relieved that it was fake. But, just thinking that it is a possibility gives me the chills.
I also learnt the hard way that most children's play areas are the most infected with god knows what kinds of bacteria or viruses. When my daughter was a toddler she used to get sick everytime we visited the mall's play area. I realized after 3-4 visits and after that I started keeping the hand sanitizers in my purse all the time.
Now, I make sure the kids take a bath everyday after coming back from the daycare and everytime they visit the play areas or swimming pools.
I can handle dirt and yukky things but, what about these syringes - too scary for me.
I think, its best to caution the parents about such things. But, spreading false news that they have occurred is wrong.

Thanks Sharmi for the post, parents do need to take precautions.
Also, thanks to Kodi's mom for the links, i will definitely keep in mind whenever I come across such news.

Roopa said...

oh my thank God it was fake. its just a spam which many of us recieve but thinking if the news could be true makes me scary. kids definately love paygrounds. i haven't seen ball pit here and we do not spend much time on fast foods unless required. thanks for the info sharmi and happy to know it is fake.

Jyothsna said...

Phew, thank God it was untrue!! I was horrified to read it!!

shweta said...

That sounded scray as I read through it.Glad that you mentioned it is fake.Thanks for the post..something we need to keep in mind !!

Sharmi said...

Yes Asha, though the news is false and hope it should be, now on when ever I take my son to such places, this incident would strike my mind first.

thanks Kodi, for the links, really useful.

Hey Saheli, I too take some clorox wipes with me and wipe the shopping carts before making my Son sit. I bring him home and wash is hands

GettingThereNow said...

It is really thought provoking, even if not true. Even if the ball pits don't have hypodermic syringes, they must definitely have germs from colds, flu, stomach bug and goodness knows what else! Thanks for sharing this.

swapna susarla said...

OHH!!!my heart has stopped beating sharmi after reading these incidents. although we don't know these incidenst are real or made up.BUt i can't allow any child to play in the ball pit from now on.
Thanks for the info.