Saturday, October 13, 2007

OTC Infant Cough & Cold Medicine Recall

[Also posted at my personal blog]
Several makers of OTC (Over the counter) Oral infant cough and cold medicines voluntarily recalled their products. This has created a panic in parents and I have received at least 3 emails from different sources. But the recall has been done voluntarily and is NOT mandatory or a safety recall, which means it is NOT due to a defective product. Here is what I found on a website that has information about Over-The-Counter drug safety:

The voluntary withdrawal of OTC oral infant cough and cold medicines was initiated by the makers of those medications out of an abundance of caution. This is not a mandatory recall or a safety issue.

  • Kids’ OTC cough and cold medicines are both safe and effective when used correctly. Rare cases of overdose from misuse, however, have occurred—particularly in infants less than two years of age.

  • Infants under the age of two are the most vulnerable to the consequences of this misuse.

  • The voluntary withdrawal only affects oral infant cough and cold medications. It does not affect any other children’s medicines.

  • OTC pediatric cough and cold medicines affected by this voluntary withdrawal are listed in the right column of this page, or visit http://www.otcsafety.org/.

I think these companies have taken a big, admirable step towards implementing safety where OTC drugs for infants are concerned. I can imagine the financial setback they will experience because this WAS a big market.

I do have a rather strong opinion about what necessitated this recall and maybe I WILL do a post on it - if I get the time. In short, I feel some parents tend to over-medicate children and THAT has compelled these companies to recall their perfectly safe products. It also means a slight inconvenience for parents who turn to these drugs only when totally necessary and at times when it is not possible to get a prescription from a doctor. Oh well. I am ready to go through that inconvenience if it means some other babies will be safer now.

1 comment:

Sandeepa said...

You are too sweet. I was just hoping that some one would post this as I am hard pressed with time and I see it here. tahnk You :)

My Opinions later...