Monday, October 8, 2007

Weaning foods

One of my friends told me about this wonderful weaning food that her sister used to make. Of course, by the time I had my kids, I did not remember the original recipe but I did remember the gist of it, and made this for both my kids. My kids' paediatrician found it a very healthful recipe and has been recommending it to her other weaning mums. This is supposed to be a traditional Karnataka recipe.

Ingredients: 1 cup each
Plain rice
Wheat flour
Ragi
Moong Dal
Almonds

Dry roast each of the ingredients and keep aside to cool.
Grind it all into a fine powder and mix to ensure all the ingredients have blended well together.
You can store it in an airtight container for up to 2 months.

When making it for the baby, simply boil with plain water, soup/ veg stock or milk until it becomes a porridgey looking dish. You can serve this plain or add mashed vegetables and a dash of ghee.

3 comments:

Asha said...

Sounds like very healthy food to me!:))

Shobana said...

We do something similar to this and call is sathu maavu (health powder) and has a roasted channa dal, cashews and pista in addition to what you have listed and some more too...thambi loves it, but no more than a couple of spoonfuls willingly..

Shobana
http://mybabynaren.blogspot.com/

Tara said...

Yeah...its a neat recipe. We call it satthu maavu too. And it is made from many many sprouted dals siuch as whole moong, black channa, raagi, sprouted almonds, dahlia dal etc, dried in the sun, made to a powder. Fortunately we have something in the Indian store here akin to this...called raagi malt. Same thing, only in ready to use form.