Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Birthday Cakes For Kids (and grownups too)


A few days ago, I wrote this post about baking and posted a picture of a cake (see left) I baked for my son’s (Chip) first birthday. A lot of people asked for recipes and directions, so I decided to do a post on it. Since I don’t want to put everything in one long post, I am going to do three small posts – Cake recipes good for birthday cakes, filling and frosting recipes, marshmallow fondant figures.




Nutfree ,Eggless, Dairy-free Chocolate Cake (Yield: 2- 8” rounds or 1- 9X13 inch)
This is very easy to put together and great for kids with food allergies.

INGREDIENTS
3 cups white sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda (NOT baking powder)
1 teaspoon salt (kosher preferred)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups water
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar (I use Heinz)
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa.
Add water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat by hand until smooth.
Pour into a 9x13 inch pan or two 8” round pans. Bakeat 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.


Butter Pound Cake (Yield: 2-8” rounds or 1-10” Bundt cake)
If you are not in a hurry or on a diet, this recipe will yield a moist, dense and delicious, all purpose pound cake. The secret to making a good pound cake is to cream the butter and sugar well until silky. There are no leaveners in a pound cake.

INGREDIENTS
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 ¼ cup butter
¼ cup buttermilk
8oz cream cheese
2 tsp Vanilla or almond extract.

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
In a large bowl, cream butter, cheese until smooth. Add sugar in small quantities and beat until silky and fluffy. Add the buttermilk beat again until fluffy.

Add eggs one at a time beating well with each addition. Fold in the flour gently. There are no chemical leaveners in this cake (baking powder, baking soda). So be sure to beat well as only this will make the cake rise.

Pour into 2- 8” round pans and bake for about 50-55 mins. Check for doneness at 40mins. A toothpick inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean.

Do try these recipes for the next birthday celebration and let me know how it goes.

6 comments:

mummyjaan said...

Looks so delicious if that there cake was in front of me I'd have eaten it right up!!

Am trying this one (eggless dairy-free nut-free). Thank you for the recipe and will also come back and let you know how I made it.

Kay said...

You read my mind?? :)

I was just thinking yesterday - I'd have to get rid of bake-o-phobia (anything with flour = failure!) and start with a basic cake..... I'd love to make a nice birthday cake for dd next yr.

Thanks for posting this. :)

mnamma said...

Thanks DotMom! Would love to try out the pound cake recipe that you shared with us. Have tried some ready made baking like Betty crocker and Krusteaz. I've never baked from scratch. Thanks for the recipe.

Sandeepa said...

What a delightful cake. Those fondant figures are gorgeous. Woefully we are on a butterles, eggless diet at home for the hubby and so am keeping far from home made cakes

Trishna said...

Wow!! Baking! my favorite thing to do! now if you could please share a sugar-free recipe with me please!!:)
Will try these recipes too :)

bird's eye view said...

that cake looks good enough to eat :)