Thursday, March 6, 2008

Greeting, Namaste, "you talking to me?"

I have been reading the posts on DesiMomz for the past month, and have enjoyed the heart-felt sharing of anecdotes, the sisterly problem-solving, the recipes, the grouses.... It helps me remember that there is truly a community of us out there -- not just the professional, neighborhood, or parochial communities that surround us, but a community that shares similar day-to-day activities and associated emotions in so many ways. The community of professional, South-Asian moms, often far from their homelands and committed to giving their kids a deeply nurtured childhood.

I'd love to talk to you a little about my blogging experience. For more than a couple of years, I've gone online searching for inspiration as I stand in front of the fridge trying to figure something nice, nutritious and nosh'y for the kiddies. I finally decided that my Amma's recipes were just fine... but I did have to change them around to suit the sensitive palates of my 4 year olds. I then started chronicling our adventures with a blog. Yes, it was truly "our" adventures. I hated all those Jessica Seinfeld approaches - "hide the realities of good food and fool your kids to eat healthy." No way, no how...not in my house! I have kids who help me create my parota-based pizza layered with carrot slices, peas and cheese. They know their veggies and love them too. Hopefully, my blog can help other moms...and for that matter, anyone looking for some serendipitous food ideas. More importantly, I'm hoping people will give me advice -- some have given me tips on where to buy ingredients, others suggest variations. I'd love to hear from you!

As a working mom in NYC, I've tended to make the kitchen and cooking a dynamic part of my time with the kids. They hang out on tall chairs on the other side of the counter, chatting with me, snacking on ingredients, and more and more these days helping me cook! When the kids were younger (...and not quite up to the task of sitting up, etc.!), I would wake up at 5 am and cook up breakfast and lunch before leaving for work. I made sure that I hung out in the morning and fed them breakfast, and used that time to chat about the day, their friends, and bond over their fruit, eggs, cereals.... They still cried copiously as I left and I still ached as I got in the elevator. Knowing they were eating well was one of the many things that got me through the days at work (apart from the cool work I was doing!) Nowadays, I make sure to cook lunch and dinner about 3 days a week, and of course the weekends are cook-fests! The kids have their own spatulas, and aprons, and are real mini-chefs, and it's one big party most weekends!

My newest experiment is with video-blogging. I use the Flip (http://www.theflip.com/) - it's truly handy-dandy, easy and now difficult to get hold of now that Oprah put it on her list of coolest things around. I'll keep you updated on how we all fare! Also, I suspect I'll be telling you more about our political conversations (my daughter like "Hemalee" Clinton - one of our pals is called Hemalee - and my son like McCain. These are very opinionated 4-year olds!)

Looking forward to further discussions and posts.
Roopa Unnikrishnan
http://rooparecipes.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Dee said...

Hi Roopa...welcome to the blog :)

mummyjaan said...

Welcome to the club, Roopa.