Thursday, March 13, 2008

How to organize a play group ?

(posted by Pallavi)
Now that its going to be warm pretty soon, I am trying to think of exciting new activities for my 2 yr old. Taking him to the park and to the pool are a couple. I am considering a playset for the backyard too. Most kids in our friends circle are much older than him.. Right now he goes to an in-home babysitter(while I am at work) where all the other kids are younger than him and he plays all by himself. We are planning to find a good daycare for him pretty soon. But meanwhile, .. I want him to be able to play a lot more with his age group kids, learn to share etc.

I looked at some moms groups but none are for working moms. So, none of those are working out. There are many kids in my neighbourhood about his age. Ideally, it would be great if all of us get together and the kids can play. Since we live pretty close meeting on weekdays at parks or just at someone's house or backyard would be much easier I think. Also, the kids will grow up together and I think that will be great !

But the issue is that our subdivision is kind of new and every couple of months a new family is moving in. There has not been an opportunity to even meet and talk to everyone yet. So, I am not sure how to approach people and organize a playgroup. I wonder if anyone would even be interested or even care.. Has anyone been in similar situations before ? Ideas/ Suggestions please ?

6 comments:

Sandeepa said...

Pallavi

Type "play group" in the search box in the right hand column at this blog. I believe there were two articles on play group at DMC.

Only thing I can think of is, soon it will be summer and if your development has a park/play are, once you go there you meet other Moms and kids

Also you can see if there are any Moms at DMC close to your area with toddlers

Pallavi said...

Sandeepa, Thanks for pointing that out. I never thought of searching about it first. And as I did that now, found an article by Madhavi about the Community Playgroup.. which is very much like what I was thinking. Thanks.

Tharini said...

Pallavi...I'm just gonna shoot off a wild idea...see if it is something you feel you can do. How about if you made flyers (with basic info about you and your intent, together with contact detail) and you could drop it off in their mailboxes, to spread the word. Some of them are bound to call you and that could start you off. Just a suggestion..:)

Tharini said...

Pallavi...I'm just gonna shoot off a wild idea...see if it is something you feel you can do. How about if you made flyers (with basic info about you and your intent, together with contact detail) and you could drop it off in their mailboxes, to spread the word. Some of them are bound to call you and that could start you off. Just a suggestion..:)

Pallavi said...

Tharini, you know what ? I did think about that :) really ! And then thought it was a bit wild ;) I may still do it. And drop it only in the mailboxes of people I am interested in ;)

sara said...

An excellent site for managing the playgroup is www.qlubb.com. It puts all of the stuff online with a calendar and sign-up sheets,etc. My friend started the company and I was one of the early beta testers. I put my son's playgroup and my daughter's classroom on and it has been FANTASTIC. It makes organizing and informing parents sooo much easier.