Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Women are better leaders ??!!??

This is cross posted at Arigatho.

A well educated man, passed out from Cambridge, studied in an exchange program and who has already worked in this global delivery model and a person who understand globalization, questions me in this following way –

Why do Indian companies send Women as their team heads or managers?

I am working very closely with this world famous packaging service company, for them to win a business bid and in turn my organization would also be benefited by winning this proposal. I am working very closely with this well educated, well mannered and extremely nice gentleman who has a broader perspective in understanding things and work in a global delivery model.

Now if this question was as simple as it sounds, I would have left it then and there and wouldn’t have given much heed to this. But this comes from a person who knows that Indian woman is now the most enterprising manager than most of her counterparts. What with Indira Nooyi and all? Need I say more? I couldn’t believe my ears when my counterpart from the customer front, who completed his management study from Cambridge, well traveled and well educated person could ask me such questions.

I was offended initially but then later on thought about his question and felt that might be that was a valid question and that I need to sit and analyze as to why some companies send mostly woman as their team leads.

I finally concluded that we are better leaders. I have my own take on this. But I would like to know your view points as well.

SO ladies, fill me in with your thoughts and ideas!

Ciao!

5 comments:

Dee said...

Nice post :) I could do some research, dig up some scientific evidence and such to come up with a logical answer...but going by common sense, I think women in general are programed to multitask better, have a better emotional quotient ('EQ' - which is important in a successful leader/manager),can handle stress better (remember the time you were in labour?..yeah..)and have a greater drive, considering they are being provided with new opportunities to show their strengths....

Roopa Unnikrishnan said...

Actually, Dee, apparently they've found that women don't actually do better on multi-tasking (research that I read -- need to try and remember where), but are better at communication, process thinking and empathy --- ALL critical for good team leadership. I was struck by the number of question and exclamation marks on the title, though. Those of us who are in the work-place know that it's not whether the statement is true...it's that the system tends to keep trying to lock us out anyway!

Dee said...

Hey Roopa...I mentioned multitasking based on the amount of juggling I (we) do..Who cares about research anyways ;-). Yeah...as you mentioned they system tries its best to lock us down most of the time...

bird's eye view said...

Interesting question. I'd hate to put all women in a box that says 'better leader' because a large part of this is up to the individual, but if women leaders aren't busy trying to compete with male leaders on their own turf, i feel they would be good at negotiation in particular, since they are better at listening and don't feel the need to jump in and problem-solve before the other person can finish what he is saying.

bird's eye view said...

In fact, my husband who happens to be a great listener and have a high EQ ( much higher than mine) is a great team leader, because he knits his people together so well.