Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Of Foogos & Funtainers

I am at K's Bollywood dance lesson last Sunday. I see a rather interesting looking Sippy Cup. I keep looking at it as if I have never seen a sippy cup before. I stop short of wanting to grab it from the kid so I can scan it fully.

Then,I slowly start a conversation with a friend next to me whom I assum knows more about new sippy cups in the market (given she has an infant) than I.

"Is it a thermos sippy cup?" The friend nods and replies, "Yes."

Who would have thought of thermos for a sippy cup? As you can imagine, I can't wait to find out more.

"Do they come in different sizes? As in, the same colorful ones in kid-friendly lunch storage containers," I continue.

"Yes, they do," she patiently replies.

"The inside fully insulated stainless steel?" I ask. She nods her head. Enough to bring a huge smile to my face. I start dreaming. Dreaming about the empty lunch boxes that my 6 yr old would bring home, now that I can pack hot lunch. Oh, my! Hot Lunch.

I come home. Google for thermos for children or something like that. Lots of Foogos and Funtainers show up in the search. Find it on ebay for 8.95. With shipping close to 14. I compare prices on few other sites. And quickly place an order for one. Part of me also thinks, must be cheaper to buy from India. You know, those Eagle brand ones. I am sure it's already there in the market given our love affair with stainless steel lunch boxes. But, I pause and think, "who can wait another 6 months to send hot lunch to school?"

Funtainer arrives. Even has a Hello Kitty on the front, all pretty and cute. Yeah! The same mom, always full of disapproval for character merchandise and who vowed she would never send character based things to school caved in for this.

Anyways, stainless steel Funtainer it will be, for school from now on. The funtainer was packed with hot, buttered pasta and sent to school yesterday. Went to pick up K from school and obviously, the first thing I ask her, "How was your new lunch box? Was the food hot?". She replies, "Oh, ya. It was great. Just the right temperature. But, I couldnt finish the whole thing."

Well, I should have known better. At least, it was hot food she got to eat. And secondly, it's safer than plastic. And at the very least, I don't have to worry about those BPA plastic stories you hear often these days.

The way we fall prey to new sippy cups and fancy lunch containers, just so we can get our little ones to drink an extra ounce of milk or eat a few more spoons of the dhal! Oh, well, so much for our fancy, schmancy lunch box story. And we'd better keep it till college given the state of the economy. Oh, yes! :-) Even in the case that HK merchandise goes out of fashion... :-)




 

 
Posted by Picasa


Added later:
For Moms like me who have no clue on what's in and out of the market with respect to kids' baby products, this was the interesting looking thermos sippy cup I saw at the class that led me to the kids' lunch thermos! :-) Well, you could always read the onlines reviews and find out more as to whether they are good or bad. I don't know enough to tell you about that! :-)

5 comments:

Asha said...

This has been in the market for a long time here, great fun designs for kids to take soups and other stuff. My kids usually ate at school cafeteria although I did pack sandwiches for a while.

Stainless steel always cleaner than plastic any time, I agree. I bought a HUGE Indian style Tiffin carrier, 4 tier+ steel plates and spoons included and insulated too, for Trisha when she goes to college in August. Only disadvantage with steel is you can't reheat in the MW.

Enjoy packing in that cute carrier too, hope kid likes it enough so they eat up everything quickly without a fuss! :))

Sandeepa said...

I have one in black & steel for the hubby, to inspire him to drink more soup/dal and less carb ;-)

The kids ones are cute, aren't they ?

Sandeepa said...

The sippy cups, I have not seen, real cute and safe too. You got it from e-bay ?

Praba said...

Thanks, Asha! Yes - tiffen carriers are great! Didnt know they too came insulated...Wonderful innovation. If only someone found a way put a handle to our south-indian coffee filters and made them insulated that would be a nice and safe addition! That way I don't have to use tongs to awkwardly lift them and pour it into my stainless steel tumbler..


Sandeepa, I know they are cute...But, boy am I glad that I don't have to deal with sippy cups anymore?:)

They have these insulated kind on Amazon. Mix of good/bad reviews. There are straw tumblers that are insulated which might actually be worth it to spend. Ya, they are safe.

My little one had a different insulated straw cup..In fact, we didnt train her on any sippy cup - I saved some money on that.. :-) she went from breast to straw tumblers/cups and it's regular Indian stainless steel tumbler mostly these days - she's 2 and a half.

Well, hard to keep up with stuff like these, and way too many choices flooding the market..not fun, indeed! :-)

Sheela said...

Praba, I have a stainless steel thermos with black cap for Ana... at her age, manipulating the screw cap seems terribly tough for ehr, so, am saving it for when she is older...

However, what I love most is her water bottle by SIGG - sturdy, environmentally friendly, keeps things cool although it is not a thermos, and yes, I got the Hello Kitty SIGG for Ana with sport sipper on top that she can easily manipulate and sent buttermilk to school everyday and now the little girl can't have enough of buttermilk!! It works!