Thursday, March 5, 2009

One year of home-delivered milk...


When you live abroad, one of the things you surely miss about India is having milk delivered daily to your doorstep. When I found out this farm in Maryland, you can only imagine the excitement I felt. All I do is order the quantities online and manage my account. Bottles of milk right outside my doorstep every Monday by 11 am. I am simply loving this arrangement. One of those life's little pleasures, isn't it? It's worked out great the last one year. I also love the fact that they use glass bottles instead of plastic. It's a once-in-a-week delivery. They also offer eggs, bread and butter. You pay the same price for a gallon of organic milk at your store. The only extra amount is is the delivery fee and that's $3.25 per week.

Back in India, last summer, when the sabjiwalla brought veggies to my mother's doorstep, I certainly saw old-fashioned ways of living in a very different, refershing light. I started thinking about how the food system operates in the US. I thought about how dependent our lives on the giant corporates and the price of oil to meet even our basic services such as milk, bread and eggs. Farmers' markets are nice, but they operate seasonally except of course if you live in a warm place like CA.

We have been very fortunate to have access something like this here in our neighborhood.(Touch wood!) Pretty soon, they will start delivering locallygrown/organic (you never know!) vegetables and fruit - again once a week delivery in small/medium/large sized boxes. Delivery starts in early June. During winter months, they are lining up some greenhouse farmers in the area for the winter supply of produce. I normally hate going to the stores in any weather. Particularly, having to run behind a toddler (who simply wouldn't want to be tied to a cart) that likes to be chased from one aisle to another in a huge grocery store that is the size of the planet is certainly not fun. :-) Well, I am sure you hear my woe! :-)

On a slightly different note, leaving you with this eyecandy of a cart filled with little saplings/plants - a mobile nursery - that was parked outside my mom's home in Chennai last summer. My girls standing beside me helped me choose the plants for my mother & my mother-in-law - who are neighbors! How wonderful the whole experience felt! Not to forget the delightful conversation I had with the seller. Truly one of my fondest summertime experiences of recent memory.

6 comments:

Asha said...

WOW!! Indian style milk, good for you! Enjoy. I can't wait until ground warms up, so I can start planting!:))

Tharini said...

So lovely! Makes me want to try and locate a good local farm nearby and have milk delievered!

choxbox said...

nice!

Sandeepa said...

This looks nice and pretty :) Longing for spring

bird's eye view said...

Wow, sounds good. And I'm eyeing the cart trying to identify which of those plants i have in my garden :)

Anu said...

this amazing. i've been looking for something like this since i can only get milk from the farmers market once a week and invariably run out before the end of the week!!