Kodi's mom really came up with a great topic for this month with home remedies. There are so many different ones in each entry - I'm planning to compile them, grouped by ailment type, and keep them at home as a handy booklet.
I remembered a few more home remedies that we use quite often.
For diarrhoea: soak 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds in 1 tbsp home made curds overnight, and swallow it the next morning. This is something we have followed for years and it's quite effective for adults as well as children.
Interestingly, I used to eat 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds soaked overnight in water to help me lactate better after my daughter was born.
For constipation: Give your child bananas.
For a stuffy nose: inhale in water to which you have added a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Eucalyptus oil drops in a bowl of warm water is also a great way to keep mosquitoes away.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Prunes help constipation too. Good post B!:)
great home remedies
I was under the impression that bananas can cause constipation, BEV?
sure these are great tips.thanku.
Good post BEV.There is a particular type of banana (it is called poovam pazham in tamil, has laxative properties but in general it is considered constipating.
I thought so too...I mean abt the bananas..I though it was constipating. Good thought about the fenugreek for diarrhea.
Great post!
Fenugreek is one healthy spice!!!
I thought bananas were constipating too!
Fenugreek with curd is one of the tried and tested tip that I can highly recommend. So glad to see the tip on DMC!
My mom used to give a tbsp of fenugreek and 1/4 cup of curd in 1/4 cup of water stirred with a spoon to swallow the fenugreek seeds... For the next two hours, we were not supposed to eat/drink anything other than water or curd or buttermilk... It was an instant medicine that worked wonderfully.
I think diff kinds of bananas cause diff effects... A doc in the US advised my friend to give her son chocolate for constipation.. and amazingly it works... sweet medicine!!
Also for headache I read somewhere that if you dip a cotton bud in a cup of water mized with a tsp of chilli powder and coat the inside of your nose, your headache vanishes...
I am serious.. no kidding (read this in Men's Health/ RD I think)
the poovam pazham reminds me! in the US, bananas are considered an excellent first solid food for infants, so thats what I gave my son at 6-7m and he even ate a whole banana once! when I reported that to my grandmother-in-law back home, she wasn't too pleased. apparently in India, bananas are a big no-no for babies, as they cause stomach upset. the difference, I found out later, is in the species - the chiquita bananas we get here are harmless for infants, but do constipate in excess..the poovam pazham -the smaller variety - is higher in fiber content, a laxative and not recommended as first food for babies.
when I discovered this, I felt enlightened :) and one more time after reading this post!!
I had no idea that bananas are thought to be constipating - in our family, we usually eat them for the opposite purpose - maybe the variety of bananas we get here? Bizarrely, my son turned out to get constipated from eating apples and pears - even a tiny sliver would keep him out of the loo for days. He wasn't allowed to eat either of these fruit till he turned about 3 and a half, and then under careful observation!
About the bananas as a laxative/constipation thing: I just read that unripe bananas tend to be constipating while ripe ones act as laxatives. I always thought they were laxatives until I read about the constipation effect so I looked into it and I guess it's both. Crazy, eh?
Post a Comment