Sorry for not contributing more often, but I am currently going through a divorce and so have been on an emotional roller-coaster over the past few months.. I didn't want to touch on it in my food blog (because my husband is a fan of it), and I don't really want to dwell on it here either, because it's not the reason for my post today, but I thought it was worth mentioning since I'll definitely be posting more about it in the coming months.
Err, see, my son (I call him "Jojo" all the time) just turned 4 in August and until now, still refuses to eat anything but mash even though he has 18 beautiful little teeth!! Anyone has this problem, too? The strange thing about him is that he displays ZERO curiosity about food, and strangely, the only things he deigns to bite are M & Ms and gummy candies (I know I shouldn't be giving him too many of them, but there are days bribing as a last resort gets the better of me, haha)... if anyone has had the same experience as mine with their kids, I'd like to know how they managed to "convert" their kids to solids. :) I don't want to use heavy-handed tactics, but my kid is terribly stubborn and I suspect only reverse psychology will work on him! And he's only 4! Yikes! :)
Thanks in advance for your help!
Hugs!
Err, see, my son (I call him "Jojo" all the time) just turned 4 in August and until now, still refuses to eat anything but mash even though he has 18 beautiful little teeth!! Anyone has this problem, too? The strange thing about him is that he displays ZERO curiosity about food, and strangely, the only things he deigns to bite are M & Ms and gummy candies (I know I shouldn't be giving him too many of them, but there are days bribing as a last resort gets the better of me, haha)... if anyone has had the same experience as mine with their kids, I'd like to know how they managed to "convert" their kids to solids. :) I don't want to use heavy-handed tactics, but my kid is terribly stubborn and I suspect only reverse psychology will work on him! And he's only 4! Yikes! :)
Thanks in advance for your help!
Hugs!

10 comments:
Sorry to hear about your divorce. May God give you strength to deal with it. Take Care.
Hi Shilpa,
Not sure how to help with your son - maybe it's just the stress of it all and he'll eat normal food once he is more settled as well. Big hug to you! I am sorry to hear about your divorce but I am glad you are one of the few Indian women I know who have taken this bold step rather than living unhappily ever after. Take care and all us girls on DMC will be there if you need any emotional support - seriously.
Sheela, hang in there girl. Divorce is very stressful, emotionally and physically I guess.Hugs to you and if you ever want to vent, we are here for you.
Now, kid is 4, so they do go thru' phases like these.Let him eat whatever he wants and whenever he wants(not candies though).
My daughter threw for a whole year at 3-4, we just let her go thru' that stage without doing anything drastic.She was okay once she was 5!:))
Good luck and God speed.
Hey come on you with your interesting food blog should not raise such questions ;-) Just kidding, Give him all those yummy french stuff you make and he will sure chew his way through.
Does he eat at school with other kids ?
Sit with him at the dinner table and give him what you are having.
Do not ask him to eat unless he is hungry
Do not stock candies at home
Hi ladies, thank you so much for your support! :)
Thanks, RJ! I'm trying to be strong for the moment, but yes, it can be hard sometimes! :(
Hi SJ, oh no no no, it's nothing to do with stress. My kid had NEVER tried chewing anything apart from M&Ms (not even biscuits!), but I'm getting agitated since at school, he'd rather go hungry than CHEW, and the doc thinks he's light for his age! Thanks for the hugs, but yes, it did take me a lot of thinking to come to the conclusion than my youth cannot be replaced, so I had to make such a decision! Thanks! :)
Hi Ashaji, thank you so much!I'll try to limit the venting where I can since I'm trying not to take it too hard... I was pretty exhausted over it the past few months but I'm trying to get back on my feet.. thanks for the advice! I know candy was the biggest mistake I'd ever made with my kid, but not sure if it can be reversed? It originally started out as a reward, but it's not getting him anywhere in eating solids... ok, my son has another year to turn 5, so i guess i'll let nature take its course? ;-)
Hey Sandeepa, see the irony of it all??? :) My son would have nothing of all that you see on my blog! ;-) with him, i'm kinda convinced it not taste (big exception - chocolate) that matters, but texture, ie, puree. Nope, we sometimes put him in the school canteen when we can't pick him up, but from what his teachers tell us, he doesn't eat a single bite 'cos he doesn't want to chew! And he displays no interest in what we eat since it has to be chewed. :) strange kid, huh? :) but i think that's very sound advice, about respecting when he wants to eat, thanks! (as for the candy, actually, most of them are mine, and I try not to nibble on them in front of him, heh heh)
Soory about ur divorce!!!really feeling bad!!take care!!
My daughter says "no"for liquids:-(((((milk,juices etc...)
I don't know what to do????And she don't want to take fruits as well..always the Rice stuff.i am also worried about her.she will be 4 in this month:((.Don't buy candies and all.
Once when my daugter was 2 y old i went to a doctor and asked about her food habits..my daughter used to eat only chips and chocolates all the time.no food.When i asked doctor about this she said "don't buy the chips.u are the one who is giving all that stuff to her.she by herself can't go out and buy that junk food.so stop to buy all that food.and give her good food when she is hungry".From that day onwards i literally stopped giving her such nasty things!!but she is fine.she used to take rice and all.but no milk although:(.
I give her milk products.
i hope this will help u!!all the best!!
hi...
Sorry to hear about this phase in your life...and you're dealing with additional issues too.
I have a son who has the same problem when it comes to food. He doesn't chew food. He's now 7, but he wouldn't for a while. I was asked to start giving him only finger foods, like chapathi, dosas, puri's that had to be chewed. And it did help. He would take only a few bites initially, but then he's graduated to eating by himself, and he eats the other foodstuff too properly. We just need a lot of patience ( I know that can really wear you out...) Don't give him junk food for any reason...cos it'll kill the little appetite that he can add up. Get him to do a lot of physical activity, to get him hungry and then in his hunger he'll just start eating. Thats how it has worked for me...and that too after I had totally given up...
He might just not eat for a few days, so don't give up...I used to give him 2-3 bites of the chapathis or puris, and then it was back to mashed up rice and stuff....but then he started eating slowly. Even now, i'm plodding his cheeks half the time, saying "chew your food" but I'm sure you'll succeed...and he's lightweight and hyper. They just said it must be laziness when it comes to chewing cos swallowing food seemed faster
Hi Shilpa-
Is your son chewing now? What steps did you take to get him to chew?
Please, please mail me @ aarushi.godha@gmail.com
Post a Comment