I am a mother of 3 year old girl. As Sandeepa mentioned in her opening post my mind is at that age too. Each day I am learning a new thing from my daughter. She makes it a point to hug whenever she is happy. I call her my filmy daughter :)). But the truth is that whenever I get a warm hug from her it brightens my day.
When I saw the invitation for this new group for mommies I thought this is a great way to bond. It is a great way to reach out to another mother too. So my first post is to all those new mothers who need warm hugs for those sleepless nights, a shoulder to cry on when you want to scream, an ear to listen when you want to share, a lap to keep your head on when you are tired. It is difficult being a new mother especially in a place far away from the support of your mother and dear ones. The fortunate ones have the support of their mothers for at least first 5 or 6 months after child birth but then you are on your own. What can we do to help them?
1. If you have a new mother as a friend or relative then please offer your help in the form of food or babysitting.
2. Show your support by meeting them whenever you can and share their woes.
3. We always shower the pregnant woman with baby gifts on baby shower instead try gifting something to the mommy like a spa gift card, facial or something they can use to cheer them when they feel miserable.
Please share more pointers and I will edit this post to add those.
4. Asha's suggestion: Offer help to take care of the older child if the new mother has more than one child.
5. Trupti's suggestion: Lend hand in cleaning house.
Quoting Howard Johnson M-O-T-H-E-R
"M" is for the million things she gave me,
"O" means only that she's growing old,
"T" is for the tears she shed to save me,
"H" is for her heart of purest gold;
"E" is for her eyes, with love-light shining,
"R" means right, and right she'll always be,
Put them all together, they spell "MOTHER," A word that means the world to me.
Note: I edited the post to add Asha and Trupti's suggestions.

5 comments:
This was really nice to read...thanks for this wonderful post...i'm sure a lot of people out there would share your views...and well as Mothers Day is also approaching i'd like you to visit my blog on Mothers Day Wishes sometime and check out all that i've posted there..i'm sure you'll enjoy your visit!!!
Hi Reena,I absolutely understand what you are saying.I became a mother too when I was in England with no help at all from anybody,with a doctor husband who worked LOOONG hrs.
I was basically a single parent,still am now after 16yrs!!
I would suggest a friend lending a hand in baby sitting for a while you take a break or provide a lunch or dinner occasionally.
Even taking care of the older child while you are with the second child would be great too:)
Hang in there Reena,I know it's hard but it's all worth it in the end when they thank you from the podium when they graduate from college!;D (I hope,keeping my fingers crossed!)
Lovely post Reena..and so important for new moms...I appreciated all the help I got, even if you can lend a hand in cleaning the house, it does wonders for a new mom's perspective...I'd offer that to my friend for sure.
Lovely post Reena...that is so true. In those times some help from Friends in the form of baby sitting really works out great.
I was fortunate to have my Mom and Mom-in law with me for most part of my daughters first year and I totally agree it would get very difficult otherwise
@gerry: thanks
@asha: that's great suggestions. helping with the older child would be so good.
i am the fortunate one who had mom for 6 months and then i left for india so another 2 months but when i came back it was difficult for me. i had great friends to share my joy and sorrow equally. my husband was and still is a busy person. still he helped whenever he could. husbands need to be very supporting too. now when my daughter is 3 it is so much fun:).
@trupti: thanks. i know help with cleaning would be great too.
@sandeepa: i was fortunate one too but i also had great friends. i have seen some struggling. do we have guys around? ;)they should also help with chores.
Post a Comment